Happy Holidays- Yes that time of the year where we have a tendency to overindulge and workouts seem to take second place to the holiday rush. To combat the accumulation of holiday pounds I created this Fire Rescue Metabolic Workout..
This workout requires minimal time, maximal effort and will give you an extreme calorie burn (throughout the day). The workout is adoptable for various levels of fitness.
Intermediate/ Advanced athletes should use weights that they can handle for 15 reps (even though you will only be performing 10 reps) while beginners will use body-weight for each exercise. Each rep should be performed with control (safety first) and good form. You must perform 2 circuits of the warm-up. After the warm-up follow the appropriate circuit (beginner or intermediate/ advanced) as quickly as possible. Your goal is to complete the entire circuit as quickly as possible. You can record your total time (of the metabolic circuit) so you can measure your fitness progress from workout to workout.
Holiday Metabolic Circuit
Perform the active warm-up exercises in a circuit, no rest between exercises; follow the suggested reps for each. Repeat the circuit 2x. Click HERE for a video overview of the warm-up.
Warm-up Exercises (reps)
- Prisoner Lunges (6x each side)
- Step forward Toe Touches (6x ea side)
- Chest hugs (20x)
- Waiters bow (6 each arm)
- Step Back, Reach Twist (6x each side)
- Spiderman’s (6 each side)
- Knees side to side (6 each side)
- Straight Leg Raises (6x each side)
- Hip Cross-overs (6x each side)
Repeat the warm-up circuit (total of 2x)
After the warm-up, perform the exercises in a circuit, rest as little as possible between exercises. Remember to take rest if you need it. The idea of the workout is to complete it as fast as possible (using good form) and try to improve your time each workout. The suggested reps are listed in parenthesis. Click on the video below for an overview of the exercise for the beginner circuit. Remember to record your total time (minus the active warm-up) and try to improve on it from workout to workout. Enjoy.
- Push-ups (10x)
- Body Row (10x)
- Prisoner Squats (10x)
- Prone Plank Pulses (10x)
- Walking Lunges (10 each side)
- Bike 2 miles (as fast as possible)
Repeat the circuit again (for a total of 2x). Click on the video above for an overview.
For an even greater calorie burn and challenge try the Intermediate/ Advanced Circuit. You must perform 2 circuits of the active warm up first.
Intermediate/ Advanced Exercises
Click on the video below for an overview of the exercises of the Intermediate/ Advanced circuit.
- Spider Push-ups (5 each leg)
- Pull-ups (10x) or Body Rows
- Squat to Press (10x) *Use a weight that is 25% your bodyweight.. if you weight 200 pounds use 25 lb dumbbells (total 50 pounds).
- Weighted V-ups (10x)
- Prone Plank Pulses (marching 10 ea leg)
- Weighted Walking Lunges (10x each leg)
- Run 1 mile or a couple flights of stairs or bike 3 miles (as fast as possible)
Repeat the Circuit 2 more times (for a total of 3 circuits). You may want to leave out the last run or bike to keep the total workout time under 45 minutes. Click on the video to the right for an overview. Don't forget to record your times and try to improve from workout to workout.