One of my favorite recipes for home and the firehouse. These peppers are healthy, easy to make, and satisfy all ranges of tastes. Give them a try!
Quinoa and Turkey or Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes
Stuffed bell peppers are most definitely a healthy eating classic (at least in my book). This is one of my favorite meals that is protein-packed, easy to customize (even for vegans), easy to prep, and family/crew-approved! For a vegan-friendly version, use Portobello or tempeh, increase the amount of quinoa, and use veggie broth and cashew cheese.
- 1 pound extra lean ground chicken or turkey
- Smoked paprika, garlic, sea salt to season.
- 1 ½ cup cooked gluten-free quinoa
- ½ cup bell peppers, diced.
- 1 cup marinara sauce (low sugar)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- Cut the tops off 3 bell peppers and remove the insides and seeds and dice one pepper.
- Set oven to 350 °F.
- Season ground chicken or turkey to taste and cook in a non-stick skillet until browned, about 8 minutes.
- When chicken/ turkey is done cooking, add cooked quinoa, diced bell peppers, and marinara sauce. Mix and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Place the mixture of turkey or chicken and quinoa in the bell peppers. Top with mozzarella. Add a little chicken broth to the bottom of the pan so the peppers do not stick and burn to the pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Then serve!
For a vegan-friendly version, use Portobello or tempeh, increase the amount of quinoa, and use veggie broth and cashew cheese.
Nutrition facts per serving:
| calories 363| total carbs 28g | protein 41 g | total fat 9g | cholesterol mg | sodium mg |