This is a great healthy and easy-to-make chili, made famous at Firehouse Station No. 2 in Madison, Wisconsin. Serve with a side salad and/or some whole wheat buns. ENJOY!
Here is a great chili recipe. It includes lean turkey and a lot of beans which are great for protein and fiber. The recipe serves 12 so you can feed the entire family and have some left-over for meals the next few days. Give it a try!
- 2 ½ pounds lean ground turkey
- 1-pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans in chili sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow and white corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers
- ½ cup barbeque sauce
- ¼ cup ground cumin, or to taste
- ¼ cup chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
Brown turkey and Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, cooking and stirring until meat is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add green and red bell peppers to meat; cook and stir until peppers are soft and excess liquid has evaporated, about 10 more minutes.
Mix diced tomatoes, chili beans, red beans in chili sauce, yellow and white corn, black beans, chopped green chiles, barbeque sauce, cumin, chili powder, parsley, and red pepper flakes in a large soup pot. Place over medium heat, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer chili for 20 minutes. Stir turkey mixture into chili and simmer 15 more minutes to blend flavors.
392 calories; protein 29.4g 59% DV; carbohydrates 42g 14% DV; fat 14g 22% DV; cholesterol 76.9mg 26% DV; sodium 1419mg 57% DV.
Let me know what you think of the recipe!